Frequently Asked Questions


How do know if I’m eligible to apply for financial aid (FAFSA)?

Eligibility for financial aid is based on financial need and on several other factors, which are detailed on the federal student aid website.

One or both of my parents do not have a social security number. Am I still eligible?

As long as you, the applicant, meet the federal student aid eligibility requirements, you can apply.

What types of aid are available?

Watch our financial aid tutorial for an overview of Chemeketa's financial aid opportunities.


When should I fill out the FAFSA?

You should fill out the FAFSA six to nine months prior to beginning your classes. See the recommended deadlines.

Should I apply for admission or financial aid first?

Follow the admissions process. In order to review your FAFSA, you must have an admissions application on file with the Admissions Office.

Do income tax returns need to be completed before filling out the FAFSA?

No. To meet financial aid deadlines, use estimated figures when completing the application. Then, after income taxes are filed, you can return to your FAFSA to make corrections. It is best to apply as early as possible for each school year.

I support myself. Do my parents still have to fill out the FAFSA?

If you answer no to all questions on the Dependency Determination section of the FAFSA, you must include parent information. If your parents do not provide their information on your application, you cannot be considered for aid. If you have special circumstances and can provide documentation that something occurred that severed the relationship with your parent(s), and you can provide documentation that you have no contact with your parent(s), contact the Financial Aid Office.

My parents are divorced. Whose information should I provide?

Provide the information of the parent you lived with most over the last 12 months. If you did not live with one parent more than the other, provide information about the parent who provided most of your financial support during the last 12 months. If your parent is remarried, you will need to include the income tax information of your step parent, as well.

One or both of my parents to do not have a social security number. What information do I include?

If your parents do not have a Social Security Number, don't make up a random number or use a Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN). Instead, use 000-00-0000.

My grandparents live with us. Are they considered dependents?

Your grandparents, or any other members of your household, are considered dependents if they receive more than half of their support from your parents and will continue to receive more than half of their support from July 1 to June 30, of the academic year for which you are applying.

How do I receive Federal Work-Study (FWS)?

You must first submit a FAFSA. Federal Work-Study is awarded based on need and availability of funds. Chemeketa will determine whether you qualify for FWS when we review your FAFSA.

Do I have to reapply for financial aid each year?

Yes, a new FAFSA is required for each year you are in college. It is best to apply as early as possible for each school year. January 1st is currently the first day to apply for each school year.


How do I remain eligible for financial aid each year (satisfactory academic progress)?

To continue receiving financial aid, Chemeketa requires you to register for, complete, and maintain a 2.00 cumulative grade point average (GPA) for the following number of credit hours: full-time students,12 credits; three-quarter-time students, 9 to 11 credits; half-time students: six to eight credits ; less than half-time students, complete all credits. In addition, you are required to pass at least 67 percent of your attempted credits. These requirements apply to each term you are receiving financial aid, as well as all terms you’re attending Chemeketa.

What if I don’t maintain satisfactory academic progress?

If you do not meet the minimum term, cumulative credit hours and/or GPA requirements, the Financial Aid Office reviews your progress and may either stop your aid or place you on “Warning” status. If you are on warning, and do not meet the requirements the following term, you will be placed on “Denied” status and your aid will be discontinued.

What happens if I'm placed on Warning status, but then successfully complete the following term?

If you successfully complete your classes (as stipulated under Satisfactory Academic Progress) the following term, you are removed from Warning status and return to "Good Standing."

What can I do if placed on "Denied" status?

You can file an Academic Progress Appeal. If approved, you will be placed on a "Probationary" status for the following term. Students on Probation must follow an academic plan. If you are on Probation and do not meet the requirements, you will again be placed on Denied status and lose your aid eligibility.

How do I set up direct deposit?

You can set up direct deposit for your financial aid checks online at My Chemeketa. No paperwork is required.

  1. Under the Student tab, select Student Menu
  2. Select the Student Records Menu
  3. Select Direct Deposit Details
  4. Select Create/Edit Your Direct Deposit Information

Allow at least two weeks for processing.

What if I need to make changes that might impact my financial aid?

You must apply in writing for any changes you need after you have accepted your award letter. Print, complete and return the Request for Change form to request the following kinds of adjustments:

  • Change your planned enrollment level
  • Add a type of aid
  • Cancel a type of aid
  • Revise for new educational benefits (for example, TRA or Voc Rehab)
  • Increase budget for unusual school expenses required by your program

No enrollment level changes can be made for a term in which aid has already been disbursed. Allow at least 10 business days for the changes to be processed. During peak times, processing may take longer.